Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Who says you can't have your cat and eat it too.


Some how Jack's phyco cat learned how to tell time. I don't really know when this happen or how, but it did. She know's that I get up at 7am and will make SURE that I do. She know's that snack time is 7pm and makes SURE that we don't forget. I had to go to school to learn how to tell time, so now Im wondering if she could be a past relitive come back as our cat. Gramma? is that you?

Layla (that's the cute little name Jack gave his freak for a cat) will stand with her nose less then and inch from your nose every morning and just seconds before my alarm will go off she meow's in your face. Now Im not sure if you've ever had a cat do this to you or not, but it's quiet disturbing. Especially since it's not a normal cat's meow, she seems to be quiet a bit LOUDER then most cats. Anyway, if that doesn't get you up she will stand on you! Now layla isn't our heaviest cat but she is heavy. Her paw's dig into your side like someone giving you a good poke and you have no choice but to groan and move. There just is no sleeping in here....and quiet frankly... Im sick of it Grandma!

Now the part that REALLY pisses me off is once I am up, the cat lays down in the spot I was keeping nice and warm and FALLS ASLEEP for the REST of the day! How RUDE!

Jack and I started this thing with the cats when they were kittens. We feed them one can of fancy feast tuna and shrimp about 7pm every night as a treat. I would say "tuuuuunnnnaaa kittiessss" in my most squeeky annoying voice, and they would come running to the kitchen. As they got older they expected this tuna treat and if they didn't get it.....well....honestly I don't know what would happen cause I've been to afraid to find out!

About 6pm Layla starts to tap you on the arm as a reminder that it's almost tuna time. The fiirst time she did this to me I wasn't really sure what to think. As you sit in your chair you feel this little furry paw 'tap tap tap'. You stop what your doing and look over to see this sweet little face looking back and then she opens her mouth and "MEEEOOOOWW"! This goes on for the entire hour...cause I'll be damned if Im gonna let a cat tell ME what to do! Ok....atleast 20 min...........15?

This is the part where I get stupid, I walk threw the aparmtment saying 'tuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnaaaaa baaaaaaabieeeessss' like a complete dork until I find all three of them. One is always hiding and waiting for me to carry her to the food. Not because she doesn't want tuna, but because by now she knows she doesn't actually have to get up and walk to the kitchen, thanks to me! Her personal assistant!

I'm always asked what the cat's names are and why we named them what we did. Gertrude or Gert, Layla and Priscilla. I named Gertrude after my grandmother.....wait.....MY DEAR SWEET GRANDMOTHER! The woman was my life and had just recently passed away. So I thought it only fitting I name one after her. Then Layla was named because of a song Jack liked and if I could remember who sang it right now, I'd tell ya. It goes like this: "layla....you got me on my knee's, layla....beggen for ya please...layla". Priscilla was just a name both Jack and I both liked and I have an aunt Pris whom I adore so I thought why not. Over time I have completely changed what I call them. I don't know why, just like a nickname I guess. I call Gertie...Dirty , Layla....Yaya and Priscilla is Nany or Nan's.

I guess it's only fitting that I talk a bit about the other two. Gert is a big floppy huggable kitty. She's the one I snuggle up with each night. She lets me cuddle her like a stuffed animal and never complains. She does leave me at some point in the night because when I wake she's usually at my feet or on the night stand next to me. She's the only cat we have that doesn't hide when someone comes over. The only odd thing she does is when she drinks water she doesn't stick her face down in the bowl, she puts her paw in the water bowl and then licks the water off her paw.

Priscilla is the big calico, she is the heaviest cat at 28lbs. She's very sweet and gentle, very rarely wants or needs attention and tells us when a storm is coming. For whatever reason she senses stormes coming before the weatherbug goes off on the computer. If you find her slinking around with her belly dragging the ground you know it's gonna storm. She will also wedge herself into the smallest space but doesn't realize her butt is sticking out. A bit like an ostridge hiding their head. She also doesn't drink from the bowl, she only drinks from the bathroom sink. Everytime you walk towards the bathroom she runs in front of you and jumps up on the sink. She has a quiet moucy meow. She opens her mouth and not much comes out. It's really rather cute!

Well....it's getting on the day here and I need to get some things done. Hope you enjoyed meeting my girls. Oh and Gramma....we have to talk!

Susan

peace!