Sunday, January 29, 2006

It seems like so often some little, or sometimes big, incident happens at the apartment complex I live in. It usually involves water. The last time was a tenant leaving the lid to a toilet tank off and the flow master valve popping up and flooding the entire apartment and the one below. *ugh* what a mess!

Last night at 10pm Jack and I were snuggling down in bed when there was a very loud knock at the door. I knew from the sound of it something was wrong. I opened the door and a frantic tenant was standing at my door screaming that there is smoke in the hallway and in their apartment. I advised her to call 911 and I'd be right there. Jack heard part of the conversation and was already up, dressed and putting on his shoes. I had to get dressed and get my contacts in so I could see. Jack grabbed the flashlight and took off. By the time I made it down the street to the other building I was greeted by one of the tenants say "your husband went in the smoke filled hall and laundry room and came out with a smoldering trash can, someone threw a cigarette in it!". I walked up and my husband is standing there all calm and cool and saying "baby someone tossed a cigarette in here" as he showed me the trash can. We got all the doors open and aired out the laundry room and hallway. Just as all the smoke cleared the fire dept pulled up. There was a lot of speculation as to who would do that, why would someone do it, was it intentional or an accident, no one knows.

I was so proud of Jack for being such a pro in this situation because I certainly wouldn't have been. Most of you already know that my husband Jack is a retired Lt. Firefighter and last night I was thanking my lucky stars that he was and knew what he was doing. I don't think I would have went into a smoke filled room and felt around in the darkness. In fact I know I wouldn't have. I would have been to scared. I was so relieved to find out that it wasn't something major and we were able to take care of it. What could have been a disaster turned out ok and thankfully I had Jack here to help me. Normally I have to deal with these issues on my own. I don't know what I would have done without him last night.

Jack, if you read this...(and sometimes he does)....I love you and thank you for saving the day...or night...your the best!!

P.S. Thank you for going back and getting my shoes so I didn't have to stand in the rain any longer with bare feet. BRRR that was COLD!

Susan
~peace~