Friday, January 06, 2006

She was a kind and caring soul





If I were to only remember one thing about my Grandmother it would be that she was such a kind, caring, loving and thoughtful woman. Constantly fussing over my Grandpa and everyone else. If she wasn't in the kitchen either cooking again or cleaning again she was with the grandkids watching us play or reading us a story. She was very involved with us kids. I can remember her hand sewing her old dresses to make dress up clothes for all the girls. Every hat and purse she owned eventually made it to the dress up box. My grandmother had this unique way of giving you a gift. She would make up a treasure hunt about the house. She'd hand you a note that had a little rhyme on it giving you a hint where to find the next clue. The treasures were not always some new fangled toy, sometimes they were little things she had made or something old she had that she wanted you to have. Sometimes just a note pinned to a fabric heart she had sewn saying she loved you. With as many grandchildren as she had, she did an amazing job making each individual child feel special and loved.

I know that she adored my Grandfather, she was always a busy bee around him making sure he had everything he needed. Dinner's were not small, she would cook and cook and cook. The spreads she would put out on a table were enough for two army's. There was always something for everyone's taste. After each dinner she'd stand around the kitchen and clean till her hands were prunes. Sometimes she wouldn't be finished cleaning after one meal when she'd have to start the next. To this day I cook a lot of meals that were taught to me and handed down by my Grandmother.


I will miss her dearly and feel guilt that I did not contact her as often as I should have in my adult years. It's something I will have to be ashamed of. I will miss her Christmas cards with letters attached telling me about the garden and the birds that visit her. The scoldings from her telling me to write her more and send pictures. She was a gentle soul that deserved so much more in life, but was happy with what she was given.

God bless you Grandma, I love you and will miss you. Thank you for being the most wonderful Grandma a child could ask for. Thank you for all your love, hugs and kisses. May your soul rest in peace now. May your love live on in those you have touched.


Amazing Grace
"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, That saved a wretch like me....I once was lost but now am found,Was blind, but now, I see. T'was Grace that taught...my heart to fear.And Grace, my fears relieved.How precious did that Grace appear...the hour I first believed. Through many dangers, toils and snares...we have already come.T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...and Grace will lead us home. The Lord has promised good to me...His word my hope secures.He will my shield and portion be...as long as life endures. When we've been here ten thousand years...bright shining as the sun.We've no less days to sing God's praise...then when we've first begun. "Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, That saved a wretch like me....I once was lost but now am found,Was blind, but now, I see.
Psalm 23
"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me: thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil: my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever."
Susan
~peace~